This tasks allows you to demonstrate knowledge of characters, themes or genre in an extended literary text. This can be an extended prose, drama, poetry or non-fiction text, or an anthology of texts from any of these genres. You can write about a text that you are studying for GCSE English Literature; however, you must submit a different piece of work that specifically meets the requirements of this task.
You should be able to:
- read and understand texts;
- understand how meaning is constructed;
- recognise the effect of language choices and patterns;
- select material appropriate to purpose;
- evaluate how texts may be interpreted differently depending on the perspective of the reader; and
- explain how writers use linguistic and presentational features to sustain the reader’s interest.